Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda
Best Safari in Uganda. Mountain gorillas can only be found in four National Parks all bordering the Virunga Mountains. You can visit Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda, Virunga National Park in Congo, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda, and Mgahinga National Park in Uganda. Bwindi Impenetrable Forest has the most mountain gorillas of all the parks, home to nearly 400 of the 900 mountain gorillas alive.
Viewings are daily, and you often can track large families with several large male silverbacks as well as young gorillas. This is unique to most African safaris, that you are in search of only one species and it is entirely on foot, but the memories of this may beat all the rest. Read also: The Best Safari in Africa
• The best time to visit is from May to September when it is not rainy season. Prices are lower during the rainy season, making this a good time for those on a budget.
• Bwindi mountain trekking costs $600 per person during the main season and $450 during the low season (April, May, and November).
• Camping is $5 per person in the national park and $7 -$10 at rest camps outside of the park.
Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda
This highly underrated park is possibly the most diverse of these parks. It hosts the Nile Rivers greatest waterfall, Murchison Falls, along with excellent game drives and Nile River scenic boat cruises. The delta here next to Lake Albert provides for excellent hippo and bird viewing.
The savanna is stunning with rolling hills. We loved the unique landscape at Murchison which was littered with palm trees, a rare occurrence in the savanna. The park is home to many giraffes, hippos, exotic birds, lions, antelope, buffalo, crocodiles, and the occasional leopard. There also are chimpanzee treks available. The best time to visit is from May to September.
• Self-driving is an option and 4×4 is not needed.
• Park entry cost is $40 per day.
• Camping is $8 per person at Red Chili Rest Camp. Next, read: Best Namibia Safari